Directing the LDI operations. National and international representation of LDI. Research and development. Publishing in scientific journals and presentations at conferences.
BS Physics/Math – University of Freiburg, Germany
MS (Diploma) Physics – University of Freiburg, Germany
Ph.D. Physics – University of Massachusetts Lowell
Ionospheric Research Institute Breisach, Germany (1963-65), Head, Ionospheric Sounding Group.
University of Massachusetts Lowell (1965-2010), Professor and Department Head, Electrical Engineering; Professor, Atmospheric Sciences Department; Founder and Director of the Center for Atmospheric Research. Now Professor Emeritus.
Lowell Digisonde International, LLC (2010 - ), Founder and President.
Development of advanced HF Doppler radar systems for the exploration of geospace plasma from ground and satellites; Global Ionospheric Radio Observatory (GIRO); radio wave propagation; ionosphere and plasmasphere modeling; real time data analysis; data dissemination; >250 publications in peer-reviewed journals/books.
Leadership and Awards:
- International Chair of URSI Ionospheric Informatics Working Group (1990-1993).
- International Vice-Chair and Chair of Commission G of URSI (1993-1999).
- International Vice-Chair and Chair of COSPAR/URSI Inter-Union IRI Working Group (International Reference Ionosphere) (1994-2010).
- Associate Editor, Radio Science (1988-1998).
- Editor, J. Advances in Space Research (1991-2015).
- Associate Editor, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine (2003-2010).
- Editor, J. Earth, Planets and Space (2009-2011).
- PI, Radio Plasma Imager (RPI) for NASA's IMAGE satellite mission (1995-2005).
- Federal Republic of Germany Friendship Award (1983).
- Federal Republic of Germany Cross of Merit (Verdienstkreuz am Bande) (1987).
- President and Chairman of the Board, German International School Boston (2009-2013)
- J. Atmospheric & Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Most Cited Article 2005-2010 award (2010).
- International URSI Appleton Prize for "Outstanding Contributions to Studies in Ionospheric Physics", Istanbul, Turkey (2011).
- Federal Republic of Germany Cross of Merit First Class (Verdienstkreuz 1. Klasse) (2011).
- International Kristian Birkeland Medal for Space Weather and Climate, Liège, Belgium (2014).
Classical music, reading, international education